for they shall be called sons of God."
Peace - freedom from disturbance, quiet and tranquil; freedom from or the cessation of, war or violence
The world tells us to put "self" first but when self is first, peace is lost. Self leads to division, hatred and resentment and is an ally of sin and an enemy of peace.
In this verse, Jesus is calling us to be peacemakers in our circles and this peace, is unlike anything the world can know or desire. It's not a peace which means the absence of turmoil or strife but a presence of righteousness in our life, of Christ in our life.
You might NOT be a peacemaker if:
- you tend to overreact in the face of circumstances (see Galatians 5:22-23a)
- you are a hot-head (see Proverbs 22:24 and Proverbs 29:22)
- you speak more than you listen (ssee James 1:19)
- you have a complaining attitude/nature (see Philippians 2:14)
- you talk and grumle about other people (see James 5:9a and 1Peter 4:9)
- forgiveness does not come easily to you (see Ephesians 4:26-27)
- you are self-centered (see Philippians 2:3-4 and Ephesians 4:31-32)
- you are hypersensitive (see Colossians 3:13)
Four characteristics of a Peacemaker
1. A peacemaker is one who is at peace with God
2. A peacemaker leads others to peace with God
3. A peacemaker helps others make peace with others
4. A peacemaker endeavors to find a place of agreement