This Sunday, Pastor Dave started his new sermon series on the Beatitutes. You can read the whole scripture in Matthew 5. The Tuesday morning and Wednesday evening Bible Study groups will continue the discussion each week in their time together so consider joining them!
Pastor Dave shared that the word poor (ptochos) is from a verb meaning to shrink, cower, or cringe in Greek and one who is "poor" is begging others for sustenance. To be poor in spirit is to recognize one's spiritual poverty apart from God. Those who are poor in spirit recognize their total spiritual destitution and their complete dependance upon God.
A few reminder points:
- External things cannot satisfy internal or spiritual needs.
- The "kingdom of heaven" mentioned as our reward is not a place to go after we die, but is acessible here and now! But, it's only available to those who are POOR IN SPIRIT.
- Until a person surrenders pride, he or she cannot enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Steps in Eperiencing Humility
- Turn your eyes off of yourself. Look to God
- Starve your flesh by removing the things on which is feeds.
- Ask God for humilty to see the state of your own spirit.
Remember to spend some time in His word today. And join us this coming Sunday for the next part of the sermon series.
Here's a video song we've played before! Enjoy!